Saturday, April 20, 2013

“Although the Lord gives you
the bread of adversity
and the water of affliction
your teachers will be hidden no more
with your own eyes you will see them.
Whether you turn to the right or to the left
your ears will hear a voice behind you saying,
'This is the way; walk in it.' ”

Isaiah 30:20.21

Today I am thankful. I thought I would be giddy, silly with excitement. Instead, I feel peace.

I hear that still, small voice whispering, “This is the way; walk in it.” I've heard that leading before, when I was led to the “new, never lived in” Urbana townhouse which we had to move out of six months later because of plumbing leaks damaging ceiling drywall. It wasn't the safe housing I thought we were being led to. Instead, it was a good place in a lovely neighborhood, another temporary home that helped us see we cannot continue renting and moving. We need a safe-for-our-health place to own.

For months, seeing no other way to affordable safe housing, I have looked into obtaining an Airstream trailer that is mold and mold toxin free, and without outgassing chemicals which aggravate my lungs.

In visiting Airstream travel trailers over the past five months, I have felt like Goldilocks sampling bowls of porridge. The Airstream RV/conversion van was too small. Several trailers, too toxic. One was too moldy. To purchase an unfinished trailer and have the interior custom designed was too expensive.

After a trip to Greensburg, Pennsylvania, two days ago, it appears that we have found one that will be just right. It will be just right after some modifications.

We need to take out the cushions for the bench seats; the foam interior has fire retardant chemicals which are toxic, causing my lungs to burn. We'll wipe down every surface of the interior because of contamination picked up along the way. The mattresses may or may not be suitable. But there is no water damage in the entire structure, which has not been true of one place we've lived in the past seven years. It looks like this can be the safe dwelling our bodies require for recovering.

I am thankful. I am peaceful. There is a little joy-bubble of anticipation deep within.

Trusting God,

Goldilocks, aka Lori Brown

“You will go out with joy

and be led forth in peace.”

Isaiah 55:12