Wednesday, April 24, 2013

 “Grace and peace to you 
from God the Father 
and the Lord Jesus Christ.”

Philippians 1:2

The routine has been interrupted for a few months. No longer have I been awaking at 2 a.m. pondering “What do I do next?” and “Where are we going to live?”  For several hours my mind would keep me sleepless, trying to figure out the solution.

Last night it happened again. A few hours before retiring to bed, we found out that the Airstream trailer we thought was going to be home, which I deposited $2,000 to reserve, the one I paid to have an expensive mold test done on, that Airstream had some water intrusion this winter. 

Somehow a snow plow had managed to dent in every single Airstream trailer lined up along the road.  Janelle and I saw the ugly craters on the end of each beautiful Airstream trailer that had not yet gone to the shop for a new panel. The dealership representative assured us that there was no breaking of seals or puncturing through the aluminum, only dents.

Yesterday I inquired further by phone. Last evening I got my answer. The Airstream we chose to purchase was the only one on the lot that, in addition to the indentation, also had a broken window and yes, precipitation made it's way inside.   The compelling reason for choosing an Airstream for a home was the company's reputation of making products that are water tight.

Congratulations to us! Janelle and I probably found the only new Airstream trailer in the U.S. that had water intrusion. Last night we laughed. Last night we cried. Last night we fell before the Lord in desperation again.

I awoke at 3 a.m. and for the countless time rehearsed every option ever considered for safe housing.  None of them are viable. Lying in bed I reminded myself of all the promises spoken to me from God's Word over the past two and a half years. I committed ourselves to His Fatherly care. Still unable to sleep, I got up, ate a snack, and started to go back to bed but stopped.

From deep within, praying took to the form of song. Abide with me...Help of the helpless, come abide with me. Over and over again. Help of the helpless come abide with me. Those were the only words which surfaced from that beautiful old hymn. Worship was more needful than sleep. Be still my soul, the winds and waves still know His voice who ruled them while He dwelt below... We expect a bright tomorrow, all, all is well. Faith can sing through days of sorrow...On the Father's love relying; Jesus, every need supplying...

Eventually I returned to my air mattress, but still slumber alluded me. I reviewed my memory verse for the day. Philippians 2.1: “Grace and peace to you from God the Father and the Lord Jesus Christ.” From the Lord to Lori. Grace. Peace. That's all I needed. Grace and peace. I received it and didn't realize God's grace and peace allowed me to go back to sleep until I woke up to the morning light.  

"The Lord gives strength to His people 
the Lord blesses His people with peace."

Psalm 29:11