Tuesday, August 6, 2013


But whatever gain I had
I counted as loss for the sake of Christ.

Indeed I count everything as loss
because of the surpassing worth 
of knowing Christ Jesus my Lord.

For His sake I have suffered the loss of all things
and count them as rubbish
in order that I may gain Christ...

Philippians 3:7, 8

These verses have been a focus of meditation over the past three years. Truthfully, I could only read them through the lens of my experience of losing “everything.” It's been an opportunity to know my Savior better. I'm now trying to understand what Paul intended when he wrote from a prison to the believers in Philippi.

Paul was not referring to losing possessions. He wasn't even talking about things.
He was referring to his admirable lineage and to how zealously he lived. Actually, he hadn't lost anything. He had gained a perspective. What once he esteemed, now he deemed rubbish, trash, dung – compared to the surpassing worth and value of Jesus Christ.

To help me grasp this, the Lord saw fit to take away my home and everything in it. These circumstances have been used to help me see what Paul knew: Compared to Jesus, everything else is worthless. The house, the grand piano, the handmade walnut bedroom suite, the collection of books, CDs, DVDs and my mother-in-law's china are valuable monetarily. But compared to Jesus – worth nothing. Jesus, our Savior, is infinitely of greater value.  Oh to always have this perspective! Truly the One through Whom everything is made, Who gave His life for us, the glorious risen Savior, truly He alone is to be treasured for His worth.  He alone is worthy. 

Worthy 
is the Lamb who was slain
to receive
power
and 
wealth
and 
wisdom
and 
might
and 
honor
and 
glory
and 
blessing!

Proclaimed with a loud voice around the throne in heaven.

Revelation 5:11, 12