Friday, September 6, 2013

“Do not be anxious....”

~ Jesus 
in Matthew 6:25-34
~ Paul 
in Philippians 4:6


Somewhere deep within, hidden from my awareness until dawning recently, was the expectation that we would move into the Airstream, embark on visiting new and exciting places, meet new and exciting people, and live happily ever after.


Fairy tale endings are only in fairy tales. The rest of life is made up of reality. Here we are, three months and eight days into our Airstream journey, and reality is that our formerly safe bubble has water damage. We can smell it, feel it and are living in it.

It started with a musty odor coming from under the bathroom sink. Armed with a phillips screw driver and determination, I embarked on a reconnaissance mission. Sure enough, after removing a panel at the back of the cabinet, there was a puddle. Not far above, from the connector to the outside water supply, water dripped. Soggy insulation hung down from the plastic ring and a tiny stream trickled down the aluminum wall.

Because there had been a leak in the galley our first night, three months ago I had been thinking that the plumbing underneath the bathroom sink should be exposed. That way we could periodically check for leaks. However, I didn't follow through with having it done. I didn't purchase the leak detectors, as suggested by a wise friend. I told myself I was being paranoid. Relax.  Don't worry about it. You're just being anxious. I successfully coaxed myself into not obsessing about water leaks, that is until my olfactory senses detected the dreaded musty odor.

For the fourth time in two months of Airstream ownership, we headed back to the dealership for a repair. The service men have gone way beyond the call of duty to help us. However, the moldy smell remains. In two weeks, we have an appointment at the Airstream factory in Ohio where they will remove the aluminum panels of the shell and disassemble everything in the area, seeking the offensive source.

There are many exhortations in Scripture to be watchful and on the alert; we have an adversary. Mold and toxins have become an enemy to our health. Likewise, according to Jesus, I need to watch and pray to not enter into temptation or sin, far more destructive than water damage, mold and toxins.

The same Lord who tells me not to be anxious, also exhorts me to be watchful. This is for a good reason; there are certain things in life about which I must be vigilant. Our lives depend on it.


“Be sober-minded 
be watchful.
Your adversary the devil prowls around 
like a roaring lion
seeking someone to devour.

Resist him, firm in your faith...”


I Peter 5:8,9