Wednesday, October 11, 2017


Chemical Sensitivity

"Easily hurt or damaged." We usually think of this definition of sensitive as applying to emotions.  It is also the perfect definition for chemical sensitivity.


Most of those of us who are chemically sensitive appear normal outwardly, except that we act a weird. Non-chemically sensitive folks could get the impression that we simply don't care for certain aromas, as if we are talking about opinions regarding colors or clothing. It's understandable if others conclude we exaggerate our symptoms. However, in truth our bodies are damaged, and contact with offending substances causes additional harm.

Trying to breathe near fragrances is like suddenly having all the oxygen sucked out of the room. Being in a building that has water damage, feels something akin to a thirty pound weight being placed on my chest making respiration a struggle.

Shopping is challenging. Many stores are unhealthy for us. Even at a shop that felt healthy, we have purchased clothing that had perfume on it, undetected at the store. In vain we have tried to wash out the scent.

The only public place I venture to regularly is the grocery store which is something of an obstacle course. The laundry aisle must be avoided with all the fragranced products.  I hold my breath and scoot past the little lady wearing a big helping of perfume. I pull up the collar of my shirt to cover my nose and mouth because the floor was just wiped up with cleaner that caused lungs to burn. I give up my place in line because a guy donning Axe came up behind.

Some of us end up with migraines and muscle weakness. Most of us already struggle with fatigue. Exposure to fragrances, chemicals and toxins can wipe us out for days. For those of us whose brains were effected, exposure to additional toxins causes brain inflammation causing brain fog, making orderly thinking impossible for hours.

Once I succumbed to my enthusiasm at expectedly meeting a long time dear friend. Without hesitation we embraced. I left smelling just like her perfume.  Finding my place for the worship service, immediately a headache set in.  In the restroom, I washed the affected section of my hair. I wiped off my blouse. Looking half-baptized, I sat back down in the sanctuary and still got sick from the lingering fragrance.

Dryer sheets which exhaust into the driveways at the back of townhouses where we've lived were suffocating.  In addition to not being able to find oxygen, the fragrance lingered in our clothes, hair, continuing to affect us even once home.

In the car, the air conditioning or heat gets turned off when diesel fumes pollute our air supply.  Tire and automotive shops are off limits as I've become reactive to latex and rubber.  Janelle gets a migraine from using toothpaste with fluoride.

Chemical sensitivity is actually an inflammation reaction, sometimes called CIRS (Chronic Inflammatory Response Syndrome.)  For some it is caused by exposure to chemicals.  For many it is due to exposure to toxic mold.  My dear Dr. P continues to state that if we can get out of living in a water damaged dwelling with consequent mold these extreme reactions will calm down.

That is much easier said than done, but that is my quest, and in prayer, my request.


"And Jesus told them a parable to the effect
that they ought always to pray 
and not to give up."

Luke 18:1